Monday, August 6, 2012

I'm writing my post today letting everyone who follows me know of the changes I've made. When I wrapped up the school year in May I also made the decision to resign as counselor for the school in which I worked for two years. The main reason was time. It was a very hard decision to make and came after much prayer and thought of consequences. As the only counselor P-K - 12 I had a huge role. Everything from individual and group sessions, small and large, classroom guidance, college and career guidance also fell on my plate. Along with most assemblies amd all district testing, I had lots of administrative duties. I started three new programs my second year there and had three more in the works for this new school year about to start. I had a very active role in our school. None of this was a problem in and of itself and most everything I welcomed, initiated and loved. However, I live 45 minutes away from the district. Therein lies the problem. I might arrive at school anywhere from 6:30 a.m. to 7:50, the earlier the better. I could never arrive too early or stay too late. Most days I could leave at 4. However, if there was a ball game or after school activity I always felt I needed to be there to better understand the families with which I dealt or to learn about the students outside of the classroom/school setting. When I did stay after school I always felt the need to be at home taking care of things there. Things at home fell horribly behind in the two years I was employed so far from home. So, I made the decision to resign without previously finding another counseling/teaching job. School starts in just over a week and as of right now, despite my efforts, I don't have a job. After much heartfelt prayer and reflection, I believe, for now, this is what the Lord wants for me. So, until that time that I go back to work as a teacher or counselor I will be staying at home during the day, continuing on Pinterest and the internet to find resources for the future. I will continue teaching my cake decorating class at the tech center in the evening as well as making and decorating cakes. I won't be posting much since I want this to be more of a professional journey blog. I appreciate all those that follow my blog. I welcome any questions. You may follow me on Pinterest where I have a counseling and classroom board. I hope everyone has a great school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment